If you have been thinking of sprucing up your yard, then adding a pergola to the landscape is a great idea. This garden feature provides you with a sitting area, a passageway or a shaded walkway that can turn your garden from a drab place to a place where you want to hang out all the time. Why should you add a pergola to your garden? Here are just a few reasons:
- Block out ugly views – If you have an unsightly structure that ruins the view in your backyard, you can hide it by simply adding a beautiful pergola. It will distract from the unsightly structure and capture the attention of your guests and your family so that you enjoy your yard a lot more.
- Add some green – A pergola can be used to support climbing plants or to put up hanging plants, or both. Using your pergola, you can get your garden to be even greener. If they are flowering plants, you can also add a burst of color to your yard when they are blooming.
- Weather protection – When the sun is too hot and you keep indoors because you don’t have much shade outside, it’s time to add a pergola. With the plants covering it, you have a perfect shade from the sun and you can enjoy the outdoors without having to worry about the sun’s rays. You can still enjoy the outdoors in the hot summer months.
- Aesthetic value –Pergolas are beautiful structures and they add aesthetic value to the property. If you are trying to sell a home and the property is rather drab, having a pergola on the property adds interest and can breathe new life to the entire property. If your backyard is largely unremarkable, this can turn it into something to talk about and can attract prospects to purchase the property.
- Extended living space – If you love the outdoors and would like to extend your living space outside, you should consider getting a pergola. You may or may not have a patio or deck, but with or without them, a pergola can be a wonderful place to spend a lazy summer afternoon. You may add a shade cover to get more shade and spend the afternoon there with a book and a glass of wine, or chatting with a friend.
- Design variety – You can go with a kit or a custom-made pergola. If you are good with your hands, you may be able to build it yourself, but it may be a good idea to speak with a professional. Pergolas come in a variety of materials that include pressure-treated wood, vinyl, cedar wood or fiberglass.
If you love to entertain, then this is a great idea. You can hang a ceiling fan, chandelier, fabric, lights and even speakers on the frame of the pergola and have a great time with family and friends. By extending this outdoor space, you will be creating more room for cookouts, parties and more. A pergola is definitely a great choice.