There are many wheelchair types in the market and they are all designed to enhance the mobility of the user. Whether you are disabled or recovering from an injury, a wheelchair provides a timely solution to your mobility problems. Over the years, the design and construction of these mobility vehicles has been refined and today, you have a wide range of options best suited to your mobility needs.
While all wheelchairs are designed to assist in movement, the large number of models makes it hard to find one that suits you. To make the right choice, consider the following:
- Your needs – Before starting your search, consider what your health situation demands. Some of the features you find on some wheelchairs might not be of any help and you will end up paying through the nose for technology that doesn’t add value to your life.
- Ask for a recommendation from your doctor – Your doctor is best placed to recommend the best type of wheelchair because they know the extent of your injuries. Before going to the market, talk to your doctor or therapist and ask which type of product is best suited for your condition.
- Reputation of the brand – Some manufacturers have been in this industry for years and they are known to make wheelchairs that are durable and functional. Take time to do a background search of the brand because some have myriad complaints and product liability cases against them. A good wheelchair company will have positive reviews and the testimonials will also give you an idea about the quality of the brand.
- Look for the best features – Wheelchairs in the market today feature cutting-edge technology to enhance comfort, ease movement and enhance safety. Such features include powered steering, ergonomic seating, armrests, folding capability, anti-bacterial cushion, flat-free polyurethane rear tires, universal carry couch and cup holder, personal alarm system, foldable pushable bar pressure relief and tilt-in feature among others.
- Crash testing – The best wheelchairs should adhere to the highest standards in the market. One of the greatest concerns with buyers is the safety of the product they are buying. This is why crash-testing is important.
Why Go for a Lightweight Wheelchair?
Go for lightweight wheelchairs. The best wheelchairs are made from steel and lightweight aluminium frames which are tested for the highest standards. These are lighter than the standard weight of 38-50 lbs with a range of 29-34 lbs. However, some ultra-light wheelchairs go even lower, making them better if you are always on the move.
These wheelchairs are ideal for the busy individual and they come in different styles. You can choose from:
- Rigid wheelchairs – They have the simplest frames and the lack of many features ensures the low weight.
- Folding wheelchairs – These ultra-lightweight wheelchairs can easily be folded up for storage in a trunk.
- Sports chairs –These are lightweight and designed specifically for various sports including basketball and hand cycling among others.
Go ahead and compare the top performing wheelchair brands and check their lightweight categories. This is where you will find the best custom-built wheelchair that suits your needs.